In my previous post, I made a list of things that you can take and some that you don’t need to take with you if you are winding down and returning to India for good. On the same lines, here’s another post with some pointers for your move back home. Some of which maybe useful to you.
- Do you have kids? Would you be carrying back diapers for them? If so, use all the diapers that you will be taking back for future use as fillers in packing. They keep everything in place and provide good support! That’s what we did, and everything came back in perfect shape, almost exactly like how we had packed it back home.
- I had already mentioned the shipping service that we used here. They are called WorldWide Ocean and Air Shipping Lines Inc. We didn’t have any issues either in the US or in Bangalore. When the boxes arrived in Bangalore, they called hub. He went to the warehouse where custom officials checked the boxes. All this was very easy and there were no problems whatsoever. I have also heard from others that all shipping companies do a good job and typically make it all very easy for the customers.
- It took exactly 2 months for the boxes to arrive in Bangalore. So, definitely pack the stuff you need for the first 2 months in your suitcases.
- Do see if you can ship your stuff a little ahead of your flying out. The reason is, if the boxes are shipped out, then you can focus on your suitcases. Will contain the chaos. We shipped almost 2 weeks ahead of flying out.
- I took care of most of the selling and giving away of the stuff in our Calif home. I used ‘Craigslist‘ tremendously for selling things. You almost get buyers for everything.
- I was also a member in the local ‘Freecycle‘. So anything that I wasn’t selling and that my friends also didn’t need or want, I gave it away to people in the Freecycle mailing list. Very useful!
- Another helpful tip: We sold both our cars on Sulekha. Initially, we tried selling them on Craigslist, but that didn’t work. Dealers list their cars for selling on Craigslist. This clogs the listings on Craigs Autos a lot. However, on Sulekha it was very easy to find Indian buyers who were honest and who made it easy for us. Typically, they also let you keep your car till the last day and arrage for picking it up only when you are completely done! Awesome, eh?
- It will get pretty hectic over the last few weeks; especially the last couple of days. However, do make time to visit your friends and relatives for a goodbye. I think we enjoyed that the best.
Anything else? Do let me know.